SupplyESChange team and network brings together experience in what works to understand:
- WHAT risks are to be managed, and
- WHY (relevant external stakeholder concerns, laws, standards), but more importantly,
- HOW risks in supply chains and Sustainability can be managed, and
- How to deliver positive Environmental and Social impacts through Supply Chain E&S/ Human Rights Due Diligence.
A few of our Global Team of Associates:
Kate LarsenDirector, Principal Advisor
Over 20 years experience in Supply Chain ESG Environmental and Social/ Labour (Human Rights) standards, including advising numerous Investors and Firms, and input to Technology and Policies development. Chinese speaker, lived and worked in China and Asia 11+ years.
Saif KhanSenior Associate, Asia
Highly skilled and experienced Hong Kong based Bangladeshi supply chain labour and EHS (Environment, Health, Safety) standards expert. Over 13 years in supply chain social compliance. Labor standards SA8000 auditor, and modern slavery investigator.
Mottidha ChinSenior Advisor, USA
Highly experienced Social standards professional who formerly worked in Verite, Nike, the ILO Better Factories programme and retailers Nordstrom, REI and Columbia on supply chain social compliance programmes.
Who we’ve worked for and with
Companies we’ve worked in have been Sector leaders such as:
- Dow Jones Sustainability Leadership (DJSI) : an ESG related Investor Environmental and Social performance indicator
- Ethical Trade Initiative (ETI) leadership
- Highly lauded for first Modern Slavery statement
“I worked with Kate and several members of the SupplyESChange team to implement strategies related to protecting human rights and improving factory working conditions.
Kate has an extraordinary ability to keep worker needs front-and-center in any project, and has a tremendous network through which she builds effective alliances for high-impact projects.”
when I was a Sourcing Manager at Burberry.
She is knowledgeable about European and Asia supply chain environmental and labour risks,
but pragmatic in working with procurement and business to create sustainable business solution”
where she kept our team updated on China and Asia supply chain labour risks,
and how these would be prevented.
Kate showed a pragmatic understanding of sourcing work. Ethical Trade was not silo’d rather our teams worked together for responsible procurement.”
More about our Team Experience in ESG Environmental and Social
- First hand experience investigating and remediating modern slavery and other human rights abuses in supply chains, and environmental issues.
- Advised FTSE100 through to small brand fashion, consumer goods, manufacturing and other companies on why and how to manage Supply Chain E&S risks, especially in Asia supply chains.
Kate Larsen, Environmental and Social ESG in supply chains Advisor, Trainer, Speaker:
- In 20 years experience, largely in Environmental and Social due diligence, has used Mandarin Chinese to audit, assess, train and engage Chinese teams and factory managers, and engage suppliers and stakeholders. Also speaks basic Japanese, and has visited, assessed and worked with with sites in Japan, China, India, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macao, Malaysia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Italy, the UK, Turkey and Uganda, and managed audits, assessments, engagements, trainings and other result generating initiatives across many more countries.
- From 2006-12 Senior Manager Corporate Responsibility Asia for Burberry, where she built an industry leading programme and team,
- Director Responsible Sourcing for a Nasdaq listed retailer 2013-15.
- Played leadership roles in industry initiatives for impact. Set up and led legal, pre-competitive “brand collaboration”s to help leading retailers jointly assess, engage and monitor shared suppliers to reduce cost, and increase visibility and faster supplier improvement. Created workgroups of Japan and China/HK based international brand Supply China labour standards professionals to deliver joint supplier trainings and engagements for Modern Slavery risk management.
- On the Founding Board for China “INNO Handshake” worker hotline service with Nike, NEXT Plc and HP representatives, which supports around 30 leading global retailers, monitoring worker conditions in China suppliers, for continuously improving labour standards.
- As Chair of the Bangladesh Alliance for safety Worker Empowerment Committee led creation of a service to help 27 retailers support over 500,000 workers across 100s of suppliers in Bangladesh.
- Worked with the UK anti-slavery charity “Unseen” on UK and other supply chain modern slavery remediation projects.
- In Human Rights Watch, played a role in creation of the “Transparency Pledge” helping business understand why transparency supply chain factory lists like Levis, Nike, Adidas, HP and others publish could help reduce risk.
- A Trustee of UK charity The Rights Practise which supports social justice in China and Myanmar including for migrant workers.
Saif Khan, Senior Auditor, Trainer, Consultant
- Over 13 years experience in supply chain social compliance.
- Highly skilled and experienced Hong Kong based Bangladeshi supply chain labour and EHS (Environment, Health, Safety) standards practitioner.
- Supported numerous global retailers to better understand and manage their Asia supply chain labour and environmental risks, particularly regarding Malaysia, India, Bangladesh, Japan and China.
- A trained and experienced labor standards SA8000 auditor, and conducts modern slavery investigations regular to high industry standards, providing deep advisory knowledge and practical guidance on how cases can be remediated in business sourcing relationships.
- Particularly knowledgeable regarding how companies should and can influence suppliers to improve conditions for foreign contract workers in Malaysia and other countries to reduce supply chain risk, and to manage Safety and labour risks in Bangladesh, and establish worker committees.
- Leads a trusted team in Asia conducting field based supplier development training, Social Audits and CSR advisory.
- Worked 2013 –2014 as a Consultant to the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh.
- From 2007 – Jul 2011 was Compliance Associate, then Compliance Officer then Senior Compliance Officer Bangladesh for the Fair Labor Association member apparel company Officer Phillips Van Heusen (PVH) which owned licenses to run production for Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger and other fashion brands. Based in the company’s South Asian regional Sourcing office at Dhaka, worked with Bangladeshi suppliers on labour standards management and Health and Safety issues, managed pilot projects on worker management committee, and worked with suppliers on grievance management channels and system-based compliance efforts. The PVH programme after responding after past crises, has been recognized as an industry leading approach to risk management.
- Publications include “The Place of Audit in the Sustainability Age” and “Fire Safety in Bangladesh Factories”.
Motthida Chin, Senior Social standards Specialist
- Highly experienced Social labour standards for human rights due diligence, modern slavery risk management and Decent Work SDG consultant, trainer and auditor.
- Global Corporate Responsibility, Social & Environmental Programs, Training & Capacity Building, Sustainable Solutions expert
- Former Verité Program Director with a demonstrated history of working in the logistics and supply chain industry.
- Significant experience working with and in leading Corporate Responsibility teams responsible for Supply Chain and other Environmental and Social standards, training, reporting, etc.
- Former Nordstrom Social Responsibility team on global supply chains Environmental and Social.
- Fair Labor Compliance Manager in “Recreational Equipment, Inc”. (REI) 2011 –2015.
- Columbia Sportswear Corporate Responsibility Project and Training Manager 2009 –2011.
- Nike Foundation Portfolio Operations Associate 2008 –2009,
- ILO Better Factories Cambodia Program Manager 2003 –2005;
- Nike Senior Corporate Responsibility Specialist 1999 –2003.
- Skilled in Non-profit Organizations, Negotiation, Corporate Social Responsibility, Operations Management, and Retail.