We hope you enjoy these articles, and will join our mailing list, or use the contact form below or linkedin to connect.
Thank you for any likes, shares, and comments.
A quick video by SupplyESChange Founder Kate Larsen of insights from speaking at the PRI (Principles for Responsible Investment) Americas conference panel on PE and Human Rights in November 2020....Read More
Some weeks back, this young lady was thrown in a crowded Cambodian jail for a facebook post. Soy, who made bags in a supplier making for fashion brands like Michael Kors and Kate Spade , did...Read More
The CoronaVirus is a health and economic challenge all organisations, business, families and communities are facing. Whilst it may be challenging for many in the west not used to self-isolating...Read More
Italian Fashion Factory Reports in recent years Italian fashion factories making high-end luxury goods do not normally make one think of #ModernSlavery , but they are one place trafficked workers...Read More
New law and soft law requires business to undertake human rights due diligence. How to deliver business human right due diligence for complicated shifting global supply chains, and affordably? The...Read More
The Bangladesh Rana Plaza garment factory building collapse killing over 1100 workers and injuring many more was the most lethal tragedy in apparel history. Whilst the cause of the collapse...Read More
Writer Expertise and Experience
Scroll down to read Articles by the Founder of SupplyESChange Kate Larsen who has been featured on the BBC, in Vogue, TRT World TV, was named a “UK Top100 Modern Slavery corporate influencer” 2018, and regularly speaks at Conferences, Events, Salons or conducts Seminars and Workshops. http://www.linkedin.com/in/katelarsen
Use our Contact Form below to hear more or invite Kate Larsen to speak on ESG, Sustainability, business and Human Rights Due Diligence in supply chains, China supply chains Environmental and Social risk management, modern slavery risk management, or Social Impact.
Featured on the BBC Business Podcast on risk of forced labour in China Supply Chains, Jan 2020.
What businesses buying from China suppliers should be doing in terms of business human rights due diligence regarding the internment of perhaps one million Uighur people in PR China’s Xinjiang Province, and some in forced labour across China.
The importance of investigation and collaboration, and use of leverage inline with expectations of the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights (UNGPs) and emerging new law. Also features the Better Cotton Initiative (BCI) which works on Environmental Sustainability and labour rights.
Available at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csy7f
Featured on Sustainability in Fashion in Vogue, Jan 2020.
In the developed world, legislation with the potential for sanction has changed the behaviour of some brands.
Some have implemented ethical trade policies or commissioned audits on labour conditions at suppliers or recognised unionisation efforts as, for example, Asos did with a major 2017 agreement. “We don’t have anything like that… on the environmental side,” she says.
Recent and Upcoming Speaking Engagements, Features
Facilitator on Child Labour risk management at Innovation Forum Ethical Trade and Human Rights Forum, London, 18-19 March 2020:
Speaker on ESG at Chartered Governance Institute for Directors conference London, July 2020: https://www.icsa.org.uk/annual-conference
Speaker on ESG, HRDD towards the SDGs podcast series for Investors Brighttalk, March-June 2020: https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/1570/370843
Subscribe to be updated about upcoming ESG and Environmental Social risks management articles
We are increasing our ESG Insights updates from our global network, so Subscribe here to receive updates.
We do not sell our subscribers data to third parties.
Other Past and Recent Speaking Engagements, Features
- Speaker at “Spring Fair” on Responsible Sourcing, and Sourcing from South Asia (Bangladesh, Myanmar, Sri Lanka), UK, Feb 2020: https://www.springfair.com/seminar-programme-2020/responsible-sourcing-and-compliance
- Speaker at BRE Modern Slavery and Decent Work in Construction supply chains conference at Aviva, London, 2019 https://www.bregroup.com/conferences/responsible-ethical-leadership/#speakers
- Speaker on Brighttalk ESG Investors Channel on “Responsible Production and Consumption – Financing Sustainable Fashion”. “Leading minds from the corporate and investment world on how companies can source materials in sustainable ways, etc” with panelists Martina Macpherson, President, NSFM; Edward Bryan, Alliance Bernstein; Martin Buttle, Ethical Trading Initiative (ETI), and Hendrick Alpen of H&M,
- Speaker at UEBT Paris Union for Ethical Bio-trade ‘Beauty of Sourcing with Respect’ (The BodyShop, LVMH, etc) on Decent Work, May 2019;
- Speaker, closing Keynote at Innovation Forum “How business can tackle modern slavery and forced labour conference”, London April 2019
- Keynote Speaker at Standard Chartered event for Banks (JPMorgan, HSBC, EBRD, etc) on Investment Human Rights due diligence, 2018
- Speaker at Thun Group of Banks meet at UBS on OECD Guidelines for Finance and UNGPs for Business and Human Rights, 2018
- Speaker at ERM event with OXFAM on business Human Rights Due Diligence and the SDGs, London, 2018.
- Speaker at Tech UK “Global Trends in Sustainability and Issues for the Tech Sector”. Led “The Increasing Focus on Supply Chains Panel Debate” and “Regulatory and other influences on supply chain approaches” with Andrew Wallis OBE, CEO, Unseen anti-slavery charity; Geoff Mackey, Corporate Affairs and Sustainability Director at BASF; Julian Lageard, Director, Intel technologies; and Sakhila Mirza, General Counsel of the London Bullion Market Association. https://www.techuk.org/events/conference/item/11887-global-trends-in-sustainability-and-issues-for-the-tech-sector
- Speaker at ERM event for Investors “The recipe for ESG Investing Success: How ESG factors are being used to create Value” (and Report contributor), London, 2018 https://www.erm.com/insights/the-recipe-for-esg-success-a-survey-by-erm-demonstrates-how-esg-factors-are-being-used-to-create-value/
- Keynote Speaker at Morgan Stanley “Labour Risks Asia Supply Chains” (& how MNCs should tackle) salon London 2014,
- Speaker on Morgan Stanley webinar to London-NYC-Asia pension fund managers / ESG-SRI Analysts, 2015, SRI-Connect 2013.
- Speaker at UN Global Compact workgroup on Modern Slavery risk management, 2016-18
- Speaker at Thomson Reuters Panel for “Tackling Exploitation in Global Supply Chains” event London July 2016 by WAM (Women Advancing Microfinance) UK Chapter, alongside Director Anti-Slavery Intl, Co-founder Sisters for Change, Assoc Director Hermes Equity Ownership Services discussing “What more can key stakeholders do to tackle the issue of exploitation of labour in global supply chains?”. https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/tackling-exploitation-in-global-supply-chains-tickets-25788911328#
- Speaker at Innovation Forum “Sustainable Apparel” Conference: Ran a panel on human rights issues in fashion leather tanning supply chains Bangladesh, representing Human Rights Watch, March 2016 London http://innovation-forum.co.uk/sustainable-apparel-forum-agenda.php
- Speaker at Innovation Forum “Sustainable Cotton” conference: Opening Panel: cotton supply chain human rights & environmental issues April 2015 http://innovation-forum.co.uk/agenda-cotton.php;
- Speaker at Ethical Corporation Sustainable Supply Chains conference: Spoke on “Worker Voice” in supply chains (helplines, hotlines, SMS technology, etc), Nov 2014, London https://www.2degreesnetwork.com/groups/2degrees-community/resources/sustainable-supply-chain-summit-2014/
- Speaker at Lensational social enterprise event on “Fashion & Photography as Double Edged Swords for women’s empowerment”, LSE, London, April 2016 https://www.evensi.uk/fashion-amp-photography-as-double-edged-swords-saw-swee/174320635
- Speaker on Ethical Fashion at launch of “AmaElla” Ethical premium organic cotton lingerie, Cambridge, 2016 https://www.amaella.com
- Speaker at Cambridge International Development conference on Development Agencies and CSR for supply chain worker and women’s rights, November 2015
- Speaker at University of Cambridge Centre for Social Innovation Social Impact Exchange Day Series: “Redefining responsibility: The role of business in societal progress” at Judge Business School, May 2015 http://www.eventbrite.com/e/redefining-responsibility-the-role-of-business-in-societal-progress-tickets-16800787608# and https://www.netimpact.org/chapters/london-business-school-responsible-business-club-graduate/events/2015-social-impact
- Speaker on SRI-Connect Webinar “Labour Risks Asia Supply Chains” to fund managers/ ESG Investors, SRI-Connect 2013.
In 2015 developed, delivered, facilitated, and presented Workshops for The World Bank on women’s empowerment initiatives in garment supply chains, Bangladesh:
- In Dhaka, July 2015 for 2 days: Presented, then arranged and facilitated Panels of NGOs, Minister of Labour and his representatives, brand CSR Managers, Donors, etc;
- In London for half day: Presented then facilitated speakers from Trade Unions, Bangladesh government, Brand CSR Managers, The World Bank, etc, and breakouts;
- In New York for a half-day presented then facilitated speakers from brand CSR etc.
- From late 2013-July 2015 Chaired Worker Empowerment for Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety. Led conference calls and discussions toward realising delivery of an NGO (Phulki and GoodWorldSolutions) run worker helpline “Amader Khotha” (Our Voice) reaching over 500,000 workers, etc http://www.bangladeshworkersafety.org/what-we-do/worker-helpline
- Representative for the Alliance in London meet with Accord, Ethical Trading Initiative, ILO.
- Led Supply Chain worker rights industry Workgroups 2006-2012:
- Facilitated for BSR (Business for Social Responsibility) Mills & Sundries Work Group events Hong Kong, Sri Lanka, China, etc with GAP, M&S, Walmart, etc;
- Setup and led WorkGroup on foreign contract worker rights with Nike, etc, hosting events in China and Tokyo, of 10-100 attendees, speaker.
- For The Body Shop annual Supplier Conference China: Why improve factory CSR (Chinese).
More Experience Speaking on ESG related Environmental and Social risks management, etc:
- Green Drinks in London on supply chain wastewater risk management, circa 2015.
- Invited to attend and input at ILO-OECD Paris Conference Due Diligence in Garment & Footwear Supply Chains, 2014 and 2015.
- SOAS (School of Oriental & African Studies) University of London alumni event, 2014.
- Speaker on Climate change prevention and Environmental Sustainability at event at the Old Vic Theatre, London, 2015.
Asia Speaking included:
- Panel Facilitator & Speaker Ethical Corporation Supply Chain CSR conference 2006, Hong Kong (re-invited for 2008)
- ADB Conference: Revitalizing CSR in Asia (supply chain labour standards) Tokyo, 2006
- EU-China CSR Roundtable on supply chain factory labor standards, Beijing, 2005
- Delivering Workshops and Trainings to groups of 10-100 Suppliers across Asia and co-delivery in UK, Italy, HK, Singapore for Burberry
- Delivering Workshops and Trainings to groups of 10-100 Suppliers across Asia for retailer “The Children’s Place” as Global Director Responsible Sourcing
- Seminar for China NGOs on CSR and environmental programs, Beijing, circa 2005.
- At Peking University on “What is CSR”, circa 2005 for AIESEC in China
- As AIESEC China Extension Manager 1999 and 2000 ran workshops and presented constantly in China, across Asia, the USA, and at AIESEC International Congress, Scotland.
Invited to speak (unable due to travel and prior commitments) :
- On “Corporate Sustainability” Panel at Oxford Saïd Business School Social Impact Careers Conference Feb 2016 (unable to attend due to travel)
- Invited by AllianceTrust Investment Corporate Governance to speak at event KPMG on “Investing in the changing Apparel sector: focus on worker rights and water management in global supply chains” (event postponed);
- Invited to speak at ILO Better Work Asia worker helplines event 2014 (could not attend).
- Invited to speak on panel on factory “Capacity Building” (particularly re worker engagement) for BSCI (Business for ￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼Social Compliance) German brands partnership conference Brussels, late 2014 (could not attend), etc.
Supply Chain worker rights related & human rights charity involvement:
- Appointed Fellow to Fashion Revolution 2016 http://www.fashionrevolution.org/ , Fellow to UK anti-slavery Charity Unseen 2016;
- Trustee/Board member for UK Charity “The Rights Practise” 2015.
- Founder SuavEco eco-fashion social enterprise for HIV women Cambodia suaveco.uk
- Founding Advisor to “Handshake-INNO” social enterprise for worker helplines and migrant worker “left-behind” children, China;
- Advisor to social enterprise Lensational on women’s empowerment through photography Bangladesh, Pakistan, Cambodia, etc;
- Rotary Hong Kong member then Secretary (Wanchai), circa 2009-11.
- In Business Fights Poverty: http://community.businessfightspoverty.org/profiles/blogs/kate-larsen-tackling-slavery-in-supply-chains-what-can-we-do
- MC for Hong Kong’s largest Rotary Charity fundraising ball, 2 years (circa 2010, 2011)
- On Workers Voice Podcasts in 2015 on Bangladesh and Cambodia Supply Chains human rights situations: https://itunes.apple.com/al/podcast/workers-voice-podcast/id660598045
- Quoted on Ethical Trade and Sustainability in “Fixing Fashion: Rethinking the Way We Make, Market and Buy Our Clothes”, By Michael Lavergne https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-f54CgAAQBAJ&pg=PA223&lpg=PA223&dq=Kate+Larsen+ethical+fashion&source=bl&ots=E-ahXFzMu0&sig=ACfU3U1_75an13DpIxH-fkXBZh_lw_3FUQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiA08_-8NDlAhUySxUIHYh-CkEQ6AEwEnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=Kate%20Larsen%20ethical%20fashion&f=false
Love that a CEO gets this:Read More
Emerging law require business to do Social and Environmental impacts in supply chains due diligence. And if we want to protect Biodiversity; in Biz, Govt & as Citizens We need to ask where raw materials in #supplychains come from:… https://t.co/LzPheKjHWDRead More
RT @Sifill_LDF: This just broke my heart. The potential in this girl....yes, COVID-19 can kill young people. Rest in Peace #HonestieHodges…Read More
This sounds like it'll be Heaps Better @GreenpeaceNZ 1: How can we be better planet savers? 2: Renewables Revolution: How can we speed up? 3: Finance: Is our money financing the climate crisis? 4: How can we make our leaders listen?Read More
I just emailed Chancellor @RishiSunak asking him to increase Capital Gains Tax in the spending review on Wednesday. Will you join me?Read More
This free online conf to end #plasticpollution continues tomorrow: Great to see this good effort by @PlasticityForum . https://t.co/VyxFpd6dWeRead More
Ocean and anti-plastic lovers check out this free Solutions event tomorrow by good friend @OceanRecov and team. Business, NGO, consultant, and any solution contributors/ innovators welcome as I understand it. #sustainability #bu… https://t.co/9x8IYWuUJnRead More
This is Good. Short, and really catches the attention. We need more like this for action to slow our climate crisis, and with a clearer Call to Action after clarifying that #climatechange is in fact speed up by humans (yes it happens naturally, but not a…Read More
@davemacladd Mmmm...sounds good to me (if it had spinach and not much cream..)Read More